CALL NOW! 1-866-788-7510
Cup of coffee with laptop on wooden desk and stack of document, Business working
Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any questions regarding your documents or any of the procedures, you will find our staff to be courteous, knowledgeable and always eager to help. Please keep in mind that we are not a law firm and none of our employees are lawyers.

As such, we are unable to provide you with legal advice. The information below is intended to provide you with general information only and is not a substitute for legal advice or assistance.

If your question is not answered below, please feel free to contact us.

Our fee is $129, paid by credit card on our website, and includes the preparation of all of your divorce forms. The court fee is $324 ($294 for processing + $30 to file by mail) plus an optional $8 for a certified copy of your decree of dissolution (divorce). You may pay the court fee by personal check, money order or cashier’s check, adding up the total cost for a single payment to the court. Our fee includes any changes that need to be made, information that needs to be added, revisions, unlimited communication via email and by phone, with no hidden fees.

The length of time that it takes for your divorce to become final depends upon state processing times, personal circumstances and variable factors such as a backlog in the court schedule. In the state of Washington, an uncontested divorce takes about 90 days to become final. Please keep in mind that due to factors outside of our control, we cannot guarantee how much time the court will take to process your divorce.  It is our recommendation that you do not plan any significant events, such as a wedding, until your divorce is finalized.

A joint divorce occurs when both spouses are in agreement about the terms of the divorce and are both willing to sign the divorce documents. This agreement eliminates the need for service, lawyers’ fees and a court appearance.

Please keep in mind that you must both be willing to sign all of the documents. If one spouse changes their mind after submitting the documents to the court, the spouses may incur additional court costs to stop the proceedings and may potentially lose the status of being “uncontested” in the eyes of the court.

To file jointly means that both spouses’ whereabouts are known and that both have physically signed the papers. If you are unable to locate your spouse, try contacting friends, family, searching online through social media and using a skip tracing service as a last resort.  If you cannot find your spouse after these methods, you may need to talk to a lawyer about your available options.

Washington divorce allows married couples to enter into a binding legal separation. The court will provide an approved decree of legal separation after your documents are approved. Filing a legal separation is not a requirement for those seeking to divorce, but rather is an alternative to divorce that assists couples who wish to enact the terms of their agreement, which may include: property, custody schedules, child support payments or other legal purposes.

The process for legal separation is similar to that of a divorce. All the necessary information is collected in our forms and provides our divorce specialists with the required data to complete your documents. Following our easy-to-follow filing instructions, you will pay a fee of $294 to the court, plus $30 for filing by mail. The decree of legal separation is effective upon court processing times and, unlike divorce, which has a required “cooling off” period of 90 days, your legal separation may be in effect in less than two weeks. Please note that times cannot be guaranteed and are dependent on the processing speed and approval of the court.

A decree of legal separation can be converted to decree of dissolution of marriage by filing additional paperwork, included in your Untie The Knot Legal Separation order, after six months has passed. Either spouse can file this motion in the court. There is an additional fee of $30 to the court for processing this paperwork.

If you are in agreement with your spouse about your shared assets, property and debts, but have not yet divided them, you are encouraged to add the instructions for the division in specific detail to us. If you are both willing to sign the documents under the terms you have set forth, then you are demonstrating your agreement to the court.